Do I need new windshield wiper blades? A little preparation can save you from a potentially dangerous situation. Wiper blades should be replaced every six months, but how are you supposed to remember that? If you remember a dentist visit and your wedding anniversary you’re doing well; If you remember your biannual wiper blade change you’re super human.
For us mortals, here are the indicators that you need to change blades:
• Streaking – uneven clearing – from either cracked rubber or debris caught under the blade
• Chattering – the sound of the blade across the glass – blade stiffens from inactivity
• Worn Rubber – edges of rubber are round not square
• Split Rubber – due to age or intense sunlight
• Bent Wireframes/Bent Refills – from automatic car washes or ice scrapers
So before you’re the guy buying wiper blades during this spring’s biggest thunderstorm in your incriminating rain-splattered shirt (of course you forgot your umbrella too), watch for these early warning signs.